Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Will the New Moon movie be closer the the books than the Twilight movie? Is that OK with you?

The internet has been buzzing about things in the New Moon movie being different from the Twilight movie, to keep it closer to the books. Chris Weitz has said that he will do his best to keep the New Moon movie as close to the book as possible. Stepenie Meyer has been in Vancouver and hopefully very involved in filming and production. All of these things make it seem like maybe, just maybe things are going to be a little different this time around.

Here are a few of the changes that have made news......
  • Jacob's friends who appeared in the Twilight movie (at LaPush) have been re-cast for the New Moon movie.
  • Rumors are swirling that Edward's Volvo in NM will be coser to, or the same, as the one in the books and not the same one they used in the Twilght movie.
  • The Cullens' hair and make-up have been 'tweaked'.
  • Some of the photos of Angela look like she has gotten a mini-makeover
  • I'm sure there are many more...
I have to say that I am behind these things 100% if they bring it closer to the books. I loved the Twilight movie, but would be the first to tell you that a lot of things could have (should have) been done 'differently'. Here are some of my issues...
  • Edward and Bella should have said "I love you"
  • We should have seen more of the relationship building between Edward & Bella & more of the depth of their feelings for each other
  • The Cullens should have been a bit more important (for lack of a better word) ... Carlisle's history, the study, Jasper's power.
  • Why did some of the little things have to be different? In Port Angeles...Bella's blue blouse, Edward's jacket, the private booth, the HOT waitress hitting on Edward - At School... Mr Molina instead of Mr Banner, the field trip instead of blood typing, many other things AND most importantly why why why did the Meadow scene have to be done in a moment of anger?? Edward thought long and hard about taking Bella there and 'revealing' himself to her, he didn't do it in a fit of rage and he didn't ring bells everytime he sparkled :-)
Ok maybe I am getting away from my orginal point here. I personally think that the issue of continuity in the movies is not as important as sticking to the books. As a matter of fact, I am willing to overlook it completely if it (say it with me) sticks to the books.

What do you think about things being different in the second movie than they were in the first movie? And what would you like to see done differently in the NM movie?

Use the comments to discuss!

4 comments:

  1. I am with you 100% on this. I am praying they stay true to the book this time and DO fix the mistakes from Twilight. It does present a challenge since they have to produce movies for people that watch movies not just people that read the books. But for my own reasons I'd love to see it be more authentic than the first film in the series.

    I could go on and on but Jenn you've covered all my issues for me! I never understood why they changed some of the important stuff and added things that really didn't need to be there like the tree climbing.

    As strange as it is to say I still loved Twilight in spite of the faults and so I have VERY high hopes for New Moon with the new director and bigger budget.

    Awesome post Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIGHT ON JENN!!
    I DEFINATELY THINK THAT NEW MOON SHOULD BE CLOSER TO THE BOOK THAN TWILIGHT WAS. I THINK IF THEY FOLLOW THE BOOK PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ IT WILL BE ABLE TO FOLLOW AND ENJOY IT MORE. WITH TWILIGHT IF YOU DIDN'T READ THE BOOK YOU BETTER HOPE YOU ARE WATCHING IT WITH SOMEONE WHO DID SO THEY COULD EXPLAIN WHAT WAS GOING ON.ONE OF MY DAUGHTERS FRIENDS(MALE) SAID HE WATCHED THE MOVIE BUT DIDN'T LIKE IT THAT MUCH, THEN WHEN I STARTED TO EXPLAIN WHAT WASN'T IN THE MOVIE HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO READ THE BOOK AND WATCH THE MOVIE AGAIN. WITH NEW MOON HOPEFULLY PEOPLE WILL NOT HAVE TO DO THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Jenn! I always thought that the new director would have a lot of work to do for NM if he was going to make a movie that reflected the book AT ALL. So many things were left out or glossed over that become important in the rest of the books. To me that shows that the original director and screenwriter hadn't read New Moon or Eclipse. (Why such emphasis on the nomad vampires? I mean, it's part of the plot in Eclipse, but they don't APPEAR till the end...definitely minor characters.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey's comment made me think of something... Director vs ScreenWriter. I will post a new blog on this later....

    ReplyDelete