Thursday, May 14, 2009

Things The Twilight Movie Got Right

We have all spent our fair share of time talking about the things in the Twilight movie that weren't quite right and didn't really stick to the book. Let's talk a little about the stuff that was right. It's always good to balance things out :-)

These, of course, are just my opinion. I really want to hear yours!

CASTING!!!! I cannot talk enough about the great job that was done in casting Twilight. To me all of the characters feel right. They may not look exactly as I had imagined, and initially I wasn't sure about a few. But once I saw them in the movie I felt really good about them. Billy Burke as Charlie was one that I was initially concerned about, when I looked at his picture I just couldn't see Charlie. But gosh, after seeing the movie did I ever change my mind! He was great!


CASTING (AGAIN) - THE CARS The Cullens' cars and Bella's truck are very important part of the book. It's really great that most of them are 'right'. Now, I swear, I will never understand why Edward was driving a hatchback, but hey at least it was a silver Volvo. And OK maybe the cars appeared at the wrong times in the movie, but I guess they had to get their money's worth out of them. All in all, the fact that we have Rosalie's convertible, Emmett's Jeep, Carlyle's Mercedes, Edward's Volvo and Bella's Truck is enough to make me happy!


MUSIC - THE SCORE!! It's important to note that I am a fan of movies scores. I like being able to listen to the music and picture the scenes long after I have seen the move. The Twilight score was different than I had imagined, but really great. The music tied together so nicely throughout the movie. Probably one of the most important and most anticipated songs was Bella's Lullaby. Again it was not quite what I (or most) had expected. However, after listening to it (many times) and seeing it in the movie I was sold. It is now one of my favorite songs from the score/soundtrack. I hope that although the composer is different for New Moon, they will continue to weave the threads of this score through the New Moon Movie.


MUSIC (AGAIN) - THE SOUNDTRACK!!! Ok I don't think I have to say too much about this. Clearly this soundtrack kicks ass! LOL I love how it has a great mix of music from old and new artists. Of course it doesn't hurt that our very favorite sparkly vampire portrayer is on there, too. ((swoon)) Music played a huge role in Stephenie writing these books so it's a given that it is an important part of bringing them to life on the big screen.


VAMPIRE BASEBALL I have heard critics tear this apart (and burn the pieces LOL) But I absolutely LOVED this part of the movie. The actual baseball playing was just as I think it should have been. Loved the song they used during the game, loved Emmett climbing the tree, loved Edward & Emmett's mid-air collision, loved Rosalie's disgust at Bella.... Ok you get the idea. I loved that part.


LAST, BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST.... THE INTRODUCTION OF THE CULLENS!!! The way the Cullens came into the cafeteria, with the great back ground music and Jessica & Angela's explanations - Fabulous!! "Who are they?" "Doctor Cullen is like this Foster Dad / Matchmaker." "Maybe he'll adopt me." "Who's he?" It was so easy to (somehow) turn into a 13 year old fan girl screaming with delight as Edward walked through the doorway!


I'm sure there are many more. What do you think??

1 comment:

  1. I can't think of anything to add that you didn't say - you nailed it! I agree 100% with your list and just got a big smile on my face watching that cafeteria scene for the millionth time! Just what I needed on a rainy cold afternoon. Ahhh, Edward!

    Awesome post!!!

    ReplyDelete